Wednesday, September 16, 2009

france = strikes

So, this morning I woke up at 6:10Am as usual to catch the 7:20 metro. I had my shower, got dressed, did my hair and make up, made myself some breakfast, and still had some extra time (mental note to set alarm clock a little later).
I left the house at 7:17 and walked the 30 second walk to the metro stop outside my house. When I looked up at the sign that says when the next train arrives I noticed that something was different......there was a scroll across the bottom that read 'there are no metros on this line today' (but it said it in french).

Hmmmm......so, no metro....school starts at 8, and no metro? So I walked back home, and told my hos mom, but she couldn't drive me as she was just running out the door to work in the opposite direction. She told me that my host brother could drive me (he takes the metro to university, but doesnt start until 9) He still had to get dressed and ready to go. we left the house at 8.
Driving through town was insane because everyone had to get to work by car. We had to park on the Sotteville side of the Seine, and walk across the bridge and into town. This would have been fine, but I was in 3 inch heels (very common at school in France).

*for the record cobble stone and stilettos dont mix well*

My host brother gave me his cell phone number so that if I needed a ride home I could call, and he would come get me on his lunch break.

On wednesday my classes finish at 10am. (there is another class after, but it is prep for a big exam I dont have to write) I borrowed a friends phone to text Guillaume, and it turns out that I wrote the number down wrong, and was missing two digits.
So now, no way to call him, no way to get a hold of host parents (they are teachers, and work in different towns) , no metro, and no way home......hmmm....

I did a desperate facebook search to see if maybe his number was on there, but alas, no.

Out of some strike of luck, a girl in my class happened to be driving in to Sotteville after school, and offered me a ride. I gratefully accepted.

Apperently these strikes are quite common here..... Im not so sure how that is gonna work out for me. :p

Buuut I have made it, I am safe and sound back home, and I am (really) hoping, that the metro will be up and running again tomorrow. If not, I may as well sleep in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment