Thursday, October 15, 2009

7 weeks.

7, the lucky number. Well, this certainly feels like a lucky week.

Bridget and I celebrated yesterday by making crepes for the first time here. They were delish. Afterwards since it was so beautiful out we decided to go for a bike ride (pretty French hey?). Bridget lives about 20 minutes outside of Rouen, in a little town called Petite Coronnes (not sure on the spelling). Ridding our bikes through the little downtown with the sun shinning and the crisp breeze, it was perfect. We rode to the town park, and it was so picturesque. A fountain surrounded by trees with golden red leaves, little grassy hills with fallen leaves, benches covered in leaves, it was amazing. We sat on a bench in the sun. It was just warm enough that I had to take off my jacket. It was that perfect autumn sun that makes you feel like you are glowing. I felt like we were in a children's book, with those paintings of ‘the perfect autumn day’. And to make it all even better, it was in France.

After 7 weeks I am home. I am home here. The food that I was at first not completely fond of, is now what I crave. The milk here that I wasn’t able to drink at first is now the best thing I have ever tasted. I love the culture here, the way of life. I love the grocery stores. I love the old lady sitting on the metro nibbling the top of a baguette. I love the plate of cheese in everyone’s fridge. I love the quirky aspects of day to day life. I love life. I love France.

A few days ago at school I was talking to a group of girls in my class, and one of them said that I spoke French very well for only having been here for a month. I didn’t stop smiling for the rest of the day.

Today I have no school. Well, there is school, I am just not going. The metro is on strike again, and I have no way of getting there, so I will be kicking it at home today. I plan on cleaning (my new favorite pass time), writing, and baking an apple pie. Sounds like a perfect day to me 

On Saturday morning I am heading off to Mount Saint Michel for the weekend, with about 200 other Rotary students. I am really looking forward to it. And since the weather is so great right now, it should be awesome.

I hope everyone reading this is having as wonderful a day as I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment